Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Naps/Sleep Struggles

I am a little at a loss with what to do about naps these days. This triplet thing makes it quite challenging since they all share a room, yet seem to have different needs when it comes to sleep. \
Syd, as always, seems to need the least. Lately she will take a good morning nap, cries after an hour of the afternoon nap, goes down easily at night and is the first to wake up in the morning and want out of her bed. Hmmmm....do I take her morning nap away, in hopes that she takes a longer afternoon nap? Maybe. I have, once again, come to covet the AM nap using it to shower and get refreshed for the day...wouldn't want to have to get up extra early just to shower and look presentable. Do I put her in a separate room for just for PM nap? I don't think that would go over well. The problem is when she cried during the afternoon nap it often wakes her sisters and while they scream because they see me and want out, they really still want to nap.

Taylor is more or less indifferent during the day. She will take a good AM and PM nap, but going down at night has been a bear. She works herself up and screams bloody murder. Some nights we bring her down which immediately results in her smiling and laughing, other nights we let her cry and figure it out because we know nothing is wrong except that she doesn't want to go to bed. Is she not tired enough? Should we push back bedtime? Do we need to do something specific to calm her down to set the stage for sleep (we never really had to do this in the past with any of the girls)? Is she going through a separation phase? She never really went through this and maybe this is her time, all the other girls went through it. That is when I feel really guilty because she has been really clingy to me lately. The problem is that she needs to understand that bedtime is bedtime. Do I take the morning nap away, again hopes she will be more tired at bedtime? I just don't know what the answer is.

Brooke is still a little sleepy head, she is up for sleep just about whenever the option is there. She is usually the last one up when I go in the room, rarely standing in her bed, usually still chilling snuggled up with her blankets. She will retain her AM nap as long as she needs it. It makes no difference to her whether she is alone in the room or with her sisters for the morning nap. She is very dependent on her sleep, as soon as she lacks sleep she has tantrums, cries over tiny things and is not a happy camper. I try to keep her rested because she is a joy when she has plenty of sleep!

What to do, what to do? Something's got to give with baby boy B less than three weeks away.

No comments:

Post a Comment