Saturday night started out great night, Chris, I and the babies went out as a family for the first time. We went to a Spencer's 1st B-day party at the Carlson's house. The girls did wonderful and I really enjoyed being out together! When we returned things quickly changed. It was about 8:00 so we got the girls ready for their last feeding and off to bed. Brooke and Taylor were exhausted, so they ate and went to dreamland. Sydney on the other hand suddenly began screaming uncontrollably which landed us admitted to Children's Hospital.
This may get long and a little dry as I am trying to document what we are going through.
Chris began feeding Sydney and she drank a very little and began crying, he then comforted which took a good 20 mins and then tried again. She drank a very little and began to scream. We then thought maybe she was overtired/stimulated from the party and that she would be happier going to sleep. That was not the case, so we spent the next 1.5 hours trying to console her with no success. I took her temp which was normal and called the Pediatrician. She had begun groaning with every breath and was clearly very uncomfortable. If we changed positions or barely touched her she screamed bloody murder. Now, this is completely out of character for Sydney. She is,as I have said before, the world's most mellow baby. Rarely does she cry and this was a clear sign something was not right. The doctor said based on her symptoms he could not clearly point to one thing and suggested we take her to the hospital. At this point we thought she was starting to chill a bit so we thought we would place her in the pack n play in our bedroom and see how she did. She lasted about 20 mins with some grunting and then again she began to scream, that is when we decided this little one needs to see the doctor ASAP!
Sydney and I arrived at the hospital at about 12:30AM, the care at Children's is top notch, I am very impressed with everyone so far. So, the first thing they did was to give Sydney a breathing treatment to see if that stopped her grunting. It did seem to relax her breathing a bit, but the screaming continued. The next step was a chest and abdominal x-ray. If I would have known how they get the chest x-ray in infants I would have probably not wanted to be there. It was the most horrible thing for me to see, her strapped to a little chair, screaming. Actually if I could think of a word stronger than screaming I would be using it because screaming doesn't do what she was doing justice. Results...chest looked okay, abdomen a little questionable. So we went to ultrasound to rule out intercesession(not sure if that is correct, something close though). It was then ruled out. Then the physician came in and basically said we have ruled out a few major things, but we now have to take it one step further, test for UTI and a spinal tap to check her spinal fluid for meningitis. When I hear that I lost it, all you ever hear about meningitis is people suddenly dying from it. This couldn't be, so now I was crying right along with poor little Syndey. As it turned out no UTI and the preliminary results did not indicate meningitis.
We seemed to be getting nowhere:( She was still very upset and now I was too. The docs then decided to consult the surgical team to check her out. (I am a huge supporter of a teaching hospital and residents learning and so on, BUT it got a little ridiculous when I was telling the exact story over and over and over and Sydney was being poked and prodded and poked and prodded repeatedly. This tiny little body had had enough of the same physical exam by members of the same team. AHHHHH. Anyway, the surgical team wanted to take another look at her abdomen and ordered an dye enema to identify anything more in her gut. Other than a lot of stool, things looked okay. It wasn't until she was able to get rid of that excess stool that she began to relax a bit. We were then admitted and sent to the 7th floor.



No comments:
Post a Comment